Concentration in Italian and Italian Minor
World Languages offers a Concentration and Minor in Italian. See Degree Requirements for more information about the courses needed.
Italian is the official language of Italy, Switzerland, the Vatican State, and several other European countries. Outside of Europe Italian has historical ties with Libya, Eritrea, and Somalia in Africa as well as immigrant communities in Australia, Canada, and the United States.
Knowledge of the Italian language is essential for
- students of music, especially opera
- students of art and art history
- students who have interest in the history of automobiles and the automobile industry (Do the names Alfa Romeo, Lamborghini, Maserati, and Ferrari seem familiar?)
- students of literature (from the Renaissance--Dante, Petrarch, Boccaccio--to modern authors such as Italo Calvino and Umberto Eco)
- students of film (Fellini, Bertolucci, de Sica)
Not to mention the great culinary traditions of Italy!
Learning a second language provides an advantage in any field of study. Through exposure to other traditions and cultures students will be well situated to participate in their chosen discipline on a global scale.
For more about Italian at USF follow us on Facebook, Twitter, and Canvas.