Applied Linguistics | Classics | French (BA/MA)| German | Italian | Russian | Spanish (BA/MA)| SLAIT (PhD)
Arabic | Chinese | Hebrew | Japanese | Modern Greek | Portuguese | Spanish (Online)
Information for Undergraduates:
Foreign Language Placement Test
Language Placement Tests are available in the following languages: Spanish, French, German, Italian, and Russian. The fee for the placement test is $25. Please call the World Languages front desk at (813) 974-2548 for more information.
Tuesday: 10am - 2pm
Wednesday: 2pm - 5pm
Thursday: 2pm - 5pm
The USF Foundation has established a scholarship fund for World Languages students in memory of Ava Chitwood. If you wish to make a gift or pledge online you can do so by clicking on the icon below. Select World Languages and then fund 420093001.
October 28, 2013 - A selection of Spring 2014 course offerings are now posted under Courses/Spring 2014. Come check them out!
Fall 2013 - Dr. Pablo Brescia and Dr. Madeline Camara were both mentioned in this Fall's ISLAC Newsletter. Dr. Brescia was awarded the SOL Faculty Award at this year's Hispanic Heritage Celebration and Dr. Camara was recognized at the 10th Annual Diversity Summit in April.
October 16, 2013 - At the conclusion of the Maria Zambrano Conference, Cuban Artist Baruj Salinas presented Dr. Madeline Camara and Dr. Stephan K. Schindler with a gift for the “Aula Maria Zambrano.” The painting is part of the cycle “Claros del Bosque” and will be placed in the Aula.
September 23, 2013 - The department of World Languages is now offering FREE tutoring in Spanish (levels 1-3) and Portuguese (all levels) at our Language Lab in CPR 467. Please click here for more information and on how to schedule a tutoring session.
WLE in the News
- Dr. Anne Latowsky's book review in the German newspaper Frankfurter Allgemeine Zeitung can be read here.
- Dr. Pablo Brescia was awarded the Status of Latinos (SOL) Faculty Award at this year's Hispanic Heritage Kickoff Celebration. To read more about this, please click here.
- Dr. Camilla Vasquez is in the Fulbright Hong Kong Report 13/14. Her Fulbright experience abroad can be read here.
- Dr. Pablo Brescia attended the "Second voices for the New Century" conference at Cornell University. An article was written by the Bolivian newspaper El Dia about the writers meeting. Click here to read the article.
- Dr. Heike Scharm presented her book El tiempo y el ser en Javier Marias at the Cervantes Institute in Madrid, Spain. The presentation was covered by the Spanish national newspaper El pais. For the article please click here.
- Dr. Stephan K. Schindler, Chair of WLE and Professor of German, was featured in the German newspaper Neuss-Grevenbroicher Zeitung. For the article please click here.
November 19-23, 2013 -- ACSUS Conference
The ACSUS (Association for Canadian Studies in the United States) will have its next biennial international conference in downtown Tampa at the Marriott Waterfront from Nov 19-23, 2013. It is co-sponsored by USF World, Research One, and the Department of World Languages (Dr. Brulotte acted as the local liaison between USF and ACSUS). The program includes over 100 panels and roundtables across more than a dozen disciplines, and features guest speakers such as Canada's Ambassador to the US, and a reading by Quebec authors (our own Dr. Brulotte will be part of it). USF students may attend all panel presentations free of charge by showing a valid USF ID (excluding special events and dinner events) and USF Faculty and Staff may do so at the student rate of $50. The full program can be found here. ACSUS web site: www.acsus.org
November 21, 2013 -- Journee de la francophonie!, MSC 2707
Join us for some francophone fun! A free event where the French 1-3 classes will be exploring French speaking countries from around the world. Please click here for the event flyer.